Sunday, December 5, 2010

MADE: Triple Chocolate Mint Cookies

In an admission that will be surprising to few, it turns out that the amount that I bake at any given time is directly proportional to the amount of homework that I should be doing. Thus it was that, last night, with the quarter drawing to a close,  I found myself in a pretty ridiculous forest of freshly-baked goods. In addition to the afore-mentioned Apple Pepper Pie (I just love saying that over and over), I whipped up a batch of Paulette's Triple Chocolate Cookies. (Since my housemate and I were also engaged in a fit of festive decorating, I made them festively minty by adding in a few squares of Ghirardelli chocolate with white mint filling.  If you disagree with this decision, I need to ask you to stop reading this blog now, and to rethink your life.)

Triple-Chocolate Mint Cookies


Makes about 20 ridiculously delicious cookies


Ingredients


2 ounces Ghirardelli White Mint Milk Chocolate squares, chopped
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 ounces (1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips


Preparation


Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. 


Stir chopped chocolate in top of double boiler set over simmering water until melted and smooth; remove from over water. Cool melted chocolate 10 minutes.


Meanwhile, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in another medium bowl until crumbly. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue to beat until mixture is light, pale, and creamy, about 5 minutes. Add lukewarm melted chocolate and vanilla and beat just until blended. Fold in dry ingredients, then chocolate chips.


Drop chocolate cookie batter by heaping tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, 1 baking sheet at a time, until tops are evenly cracked but cookies are not yet firm to touch, about 14 minutes. Cool cookies completely on baking sheets, or DEVOUR while warm.


Words of Caution: Do not overbake! Also, don't add the vanilla early, or into the melted chocolate. Crazy science will ensue.
I didn't use an electric mixer on this, but I think everything turned out alright anyway. I DID use a makeshift double boiler, and did it quite well, if I do say so myself.
Lastly, the original recipe suggested using a quarter cup of batter for each cookie. By my estimations, using that much batter would make COOKIES THE SIZE OF MY FACE. Not that this is a problem, necessarily, but I had already made a pie. I didn't need face-cookies in addition. Perhaps next time, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment