Thursday, January 13, 2011

MADE: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's been a rough, rainy week, and while grumpily trudging along yesterday, an idea appeared to me like a warm, shining beacon through the bluster of wind and spit that Seattle calls rain--Peanut Butter Cookies.
As I almost dashed home, the lure of future cookies pulling me onward, I called KPBH for aid: "Can you find a recipe for Peanut Butter Cookies? One that will make thick, chewy, warm, melt-in-your mouth cookies? One that will erase the frustrations of a malfunctioning apartment and fill me with warmth to drive away the wet winter chill?"
He was less than helpful.
"Well, they're all pretty much the same...Oh wait. Here's one without butter..."
I almost had a conniption fit, there on the sidewalk. "Cookies made WITHOUT BUTTER? Do I even KNOW YOU?"
Eventually, I took matters into my own hands, and of course found myself at the (figurative internet) door to Smitten Kitchen. I basically used the recipe here, but didn't I have peanut butter chips (who has peanut butter chips?) and I didn't roll the cookies in sugar at the end of the process (thus making them a health food?).
The result? DELICIOUS. Perfect little chunks of peanut buttery goodness, with a thick shortbready consistency and a delightful softness that lasts at least until the next morning. I'm not sure how long it would take these cookies to get hard and crunchy, but it is less than the amount of time that it took for the batch to get devoured by myself and my roommates.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup peanut butter, room temperature
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt) in a large bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat together butter and peanut butter until creamed. Add sugars and blend until creamy. Beat in egg, cream, and vanilla. Add in dry mixture a bit at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Finally, stir in chocolate chips.
Drop by spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving a little room for expansion. Press down with a fork to make that classic "peanut butter cookie" crosshatch. (Does anyone know why that's such a peanut butter cookie tradition? Does it help bring out some otherwise latent peanut butteryness?) Bake for 10 minutes, and do not overbake. The cookies won't be browned, but they'll be done, and they'll be DELICIOUS.
Devour, wriggling your toes as the snuggly warmth of childlike bliss fills your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment