Friday, November 19, 2010

CURRENT OBSESSION: Sarah Salad

I'd had variations on this salad before (spinach/feta/fruit/vinaigrette dressing), but the particular specimen that my friend Sarah brought to my potluck a few weeks back captured my stomach and my conscience (a recipe that DOESN'T involve several tablespoons of butter as a base? Novel!).


Sarah Salad:

Bowl full of baby spinach (about 2 cups, loose)
1/5 apple, diced into 1/4-inch chunks (I used Braeburn apples--firm and just a little tart)
1 tbsp. dried cranberries, coarsely chopped*
1 tbsp. pecans, coarsely chopped*
Splash of raspberry vinaigrette dressing
1/2 tbsp. crumbled feta

Toss together first five ingredients. Sprinkle feta over the top. Consume with the smug satisfaction of someone eating delicious healthy food.

*Note: Instead of these two, I've been throwing in a chopped handful of Trader Joe's Rosemary Pecans and Cranberries. Delicious!


Additional, non-asterisked note: The salad is also great with a bit of crumbled bacon, and Sarah recommends diced chicken. Adding meat to a salad, however, nullifies much of my healthy eating smugness, however, which is something I hate to sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment